As of late, I've found the most frequent question I'm asked is some rendition of "how's school?".
Some days that answer makes my heart burst with excitement. On others it makes me want to cry. Or bash my head against the closest exposed brick wall (I'm all about that hipster aesthetic). Here's how it goes down, more or less:
1) Getting to school. You have three options. Option one: try to find a parking spot - which may result in a mechanical pencil joust-to-the-death with the other 125 students looking for that same lone-remaining space. If you come out victorious, you're rewarded with a 10 minute walk to the building your classes are in. Option two: Nimbus-2000 your ass to class. Unfortunately my Rubbermaid broom hasn't quite figured out how to take flight. Still hopeful, though. Option three: ride the train/Trax/bus. 10 out of 10 recommend this option. And I got into medical school so I'm obvi-totes-smart-omg-take-my-advice.
2) Okay, so you made it to school. Congratulations; maybe you really can be a doctor after all. Next step: find the free lunch. There's always free lunch. Now, it may require sitting through an hour-long lecture about pathology. But this is medical school, nobody said it would be easy..
3) Lunch is done. You're filled with all-the-pizza-you-can-no-longer-bare-to-eat. Time to spend 4 long hours listening to people talk about things you only pretend to semi-understand. Just smile, nod, and accept that you probably didn't get in based on your academic merits. I guess this negates my logic in number one^^.
4) Two classes down, two more to go. OMG A BREAK! Quick, run to the bookstore where you will spend the next 6 minutes and 27 seconds deciding what snack you're in the mood for. And the subsequent 13 minutes regretting all the money you spend on food. Loans, man..
5) Back to class. Unless it's embryology; in which case, walk to Starbucks to go study something else while she drones on about, well, no one really knows.
6) 5 o'clock. School's done. Back home. Make a snack (or 5) and campout at the desk while you try to make sense of your life, err, the lectures. Yeah, the lectures. Totally what I meant.
7) Holy shit, you just looked at the clock. Time for bed. Tell yourself you'll shower tomorrow..
8) Climb in bed, close eyes, realize you're running through flash cards in your mind instead of sleeping. Get out of bed to go look up the difference between striated and intercalated ducts, because apparently you forgot (even though you spent the last 3 hours looking at them on histology slides).
9) Contemplate forfeiting public transportation and driving to school tomorrow for the sole purpose of sacrificing yourself in the aforementioned battle-royale-au-parking-space. At least you wouldn't have to pay those loans back.
10) Reward yourself for surviving another day by..doing it all again the next.